Friday, August 5, 2011

First Impressions

It's amazing how two districts can be so different.

So far, I am super impressed by NSBSD.  They seem to generally have their act together.  More than that though, they aren't so enamored with themselves that they forget to be normal people.

I'm not saying *my last Alaska district, which I won't say but you could figure out* didn't have its advantages.  *My Last Alaska District, code-named MLAD* functions under a completely different (and far more superior) technology paradigm than the North Slope, and their district library system is more thorough.

That's about it, though.  North Slope beats them in every other category.

First off, let's just address the money issue.  The pay with NSBSD is better, for both salary and added duties.

The housing is better.

The administration is better, at least in my village.  I absolutely ADORE my principal!  She isn't afraid to say her mind, and she sticks up for her staff.  She doesn't drink the district brainwashing juice (so to speak).  I am so terrifically lucky this year!  It will be a dream to have a principal that is supportive and NORMAL.

And honestly, the attitude is better.  I have not heard anybody ONCE utter the phrase 'You just have to understand.  This is the BUSH.'  (translation:  Things are screwed up.  Accept it because we're too lazy to do anything about it.)  I probably heard that phrase twice a day with MLAD.

There aren't excuses here, and I like that.

There are quite a few MLAD transplants on the Slope this year.  I think that speaks volumes.

I like the people I've met.  Well, for the most part.  The hiring for this year was a bit unfortunate for me personally, as the district exclusively hired people with bush Alaska experience.  I'm the only single female new hire, and one of the few on the Slope.  I also appear to be the youngest . . . the average new hire age was somewhere around 45 years old.  There are a few young couples that I enjoy; Devin and Colby in Point Lay are two of my favorite people on the Slope thus far.  Let me sum all that up for you:  there is not a single male teacher in sight.  *sigh*

The Prudhoe Bay workers would find my dilemma hilarious and terribly ironic.

Really, the biggest downside is that NSBSD blocks Facebook.  I feel like there must be a workaround, but I find the whole thing a bit insulting.  They say it is a 'security' issue, though if you ask another time they might tell you it is a 'FERPA' issue or a 'bandwidth' issue. Really it's a 'trust' issue; they don't trust us not to Facebook during the workday.  It is a power play that I find distasteful.  I am determined to find a way around it.

Anyway, that's it for today.  There won't be many pictures to post during the next two days.  I just sit on a metal folding chair all day and watch powerpoint presentations . . . trust me, you aren't missing anything.



No comments:

Post a Comment