Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Dawn is at Hand and Waiting

I leave for Alaska in less than 2 weeks, and it suddenly seems very surreal. This adventure has been planned for so long that it became one of those events that always remain in the future. Well, it is nearly the future and Alaska will wait only a few moments longer for me. I am excited about it, though I will miss my family and friends dearly. To be truthful, I think I’ll miss my dogs and cats the most (because you can’t explain to animals why you are essentially abandoning them, and you can’t really talk to them over skype). Like any other life change, this one is bittersweet. I am no longer a child and so must physically leave my childhood family, but I can see it is time for me to take on the world as an adult. With a little courage and faith, I am confident I will grow to love my new life in Alaska.

Of course, some childhood things will always remain. Case in point: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince premiered this week in movie theatres, and my sister and I went to the midnight showing! I started middle school reading Harry Potter, and I spent the rest of my life going through school with Harry (in a sense). The midnight releases are always a fun time, and since the books are finished all we have left are a few movie premieres. The Harry Potter series is for my generation what Star Wars was for the last, and I fully intend to be an involved participant of the HP madness. My sister and I even made these crazy-awesome shirts for the premiere . . . and I will definitely wear it for years to come.


*Notice the lightning bolt earrings!*



*Getting ready for HP&HBP*




*On the way to the movie . . . 3 1/2 hours early!*


My life lately has been slow and restful for the most part, and I am enjoying it for what it is while it lasts. I am almost finished packing, and now I am busy planning first day/week of school and classroom management stuff. I think I’m more nervous about the first week of school than I am about actually living in bush Alaska. I just hope the tote with my work clothes in it arrives in Gambell before August 24th.

I promise my life will get much more exciting in the next two weeks. By early August, you can expect pictures, blogging, and the occasional video about my life in Alaska!

And in closing, a quote that comes to mind:

“Beginnings are scary, endings are usually sad, but it is the middle that counts the most. You need to remember that when you find yourself at a beginning. Just give hope a chance to float up . . . and it will, too.” (Hope Floats-1998)

-Megan

4 comments:

  1. I LOVED this post (HP certanily helped haha) and I already find your life way exciting!!! It's crazy to think that you are going to be in Alaska soon! I'm so freaking happy for you :) Please do post videos...that would be awesome!!! As soon as I get a new computer and get Skype we will have to chat it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it!!!! I know its scary, but with God all things are possible and you will touch so many lives in your new adventure! I cant wait to read more about it in the future! Be strong and hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Star Wars is the last generation? I'm not that old!

    ReplyDelete