Friday, July 29, 2011

I Love Anchorage (even if nobody else does)


I absolutely love Anchorage.  Most bush teachers that I’ve met always say they hate Anchorage.  I think they are just jealous that they haven’t gotten an Anchorage job yet.  J   Sure, it’s a city . . . it’s not the middle of now where – but you can get to ‘nowhere’ within a half hour’s drive.  The treed mountains are gorgeous, and the trail system in Anchorage is unsurpassed in all the world.

Unfortunately, I didn’t really get to enjoy Anchorage this time.  I was only in town a short while, and most of it was spent running around like a mad woman buying food.  If I didn’t have to eat, it would be ever so much easier to live in the bush.  As it is, I have 10 million pounds of pisachios and chocolate raisins making their way to the North Slope (along with $800 worth of other food).  I made sure to get a good variety this time; I still can’t eat mandarin oranges without suffering Gambell flashbacks.

In other news, my Anchorage cousins are moving again!  Last time I came through in 2009-2010, they moved houses within the city.  This time, they are moving away from Alaska!  They’ve tried to move away from me every year . . . maybe I should take the hint!  ;)

I fly out SUPER EARLY in the morning to Barrow/Atqasuk, so it’s time for me to sleep.  I will post pictures soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment