Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Left of the Rising Sun


A friend asked me what the title of my blog means, and so I thought I'd provide a short explanation.

I wanted my blog name to represent my Alaskan adventures, but I didn't necessarily want it to be so obvious.  I wanted something deeper (though this is partly due to the fact that all the obvious names were already taken.)  :-)

I chose the name after a quick study of the etymology of the word 'north.'  Wikipedia explains it easier than I can:

"The word north is traced to the Old High German nord, and the Proto-Indo-European unit ner-, meaning 'left' (or 'under').  Presumably a natural primitive description of its concept is 'to the left of the rising sun.'"

So there it is:  I'm a nerd and that's how nerds name their blogs--through an etymological study of key words.  And I'm strangely proud of such an accomplishment.

Stay safe, and Happy New Year!

-Megan

2 comments:

  1. And this is exactly why we're friends. I'm a nerd just like you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, you always go that extra step, if thats being a nerd--then so be it. Miss you girl

    ReplyDelete