Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Coolest Souvenirs Ever

Gambell is one of the few places in the world where it is still legal (only for Alaska Natives) to carve and sell ivory. Mostly in these parts, it is walrus ivory that is carved. This village is perhaps one of the best and most active in this tradition, which means that teachers often get really great prices for some amazing pieces. Here are a few pieces I bought in the past few weeks:






The rounded knife is called an ulu (I can't remember the name for it in Siberian Yupik). Traditionally these are used to skin seals or carve whale meat (they are super sharp), but I'll probably just cut pizza with it. :-) The handle is made of walrus bone.

I've learned so much about the art of ivory carving! For instance, female walrus ivory is preferable to male walrus ivory. Fossilized ivory can be found on the island, and is worth more in value. These pieces range from a soft tan to a dark brown in color. Fresh ivory is slightly less expensive and is a bright white (sometime with pale pink or yellow tones). The black that is used for the eyes is made from whale baleen, though walrus whisker can be used for a dark brown (which I generally prefer). It is becoming much easier to tell at a glance which carvings are really good and which were hastily carved, and I am beginning to know the different artists' styles.

I'm sure I'll purchase more throughout the year, but here is the first batch! (Aren't they adorable?)

-Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment