Sunday, September 20, 2009

Seasons Come and Go

In a land without trees and relatively little grass in the near vicinity, it is sometimes hard to tell what season it is. I walked out on the tundra near the beach yesterday, and the tundra grass tells me it is Autumn. Sure feels a little colder than the autumns to which I am accustomed. The Bering Sea is getting colder and stormier . . . it's amazing how much that water changes in an instant. A few days ago it was calm and serene; today it was violent and quick.






Here is how I know the season is changing: everyone bundles up a bit more (especially the teachers!). Here are a few of us being carted from the school back to teacher housing (a rarity).




I sure do miss the changing colors of tree leaves! I miss the smell of autumn, too. Autumn up here is foreign to me; it almost feels like living on an alien planet where anything might happen. Truly, everything I know about how the world works and how the weather should be is useless here. Back to square one.

-Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment