Wednesday, September 2, 2009

I'm So Hungry, I Could Eat a Whale

Today, I was fortunate enough to try a local Yupik food: Mungtuk. Sounds exotic and delicious, doesn't it? Well, here it is:





That's right, you're looking at a prime piece of Whale. More specifically, the mungtuk is whale skin (the black part) and whale blubber (the other part). You're also looking at an oreo, because the whale seemed a little less daunting with a delicious cookie next to it. I'll be honest, I was nervous about trying it but it really wasn't all that bad. Extremely fishy (odd considering whales are mammals), but not bad. I wouldn't want it for every meal, but it didn't make me sick either.




Natalie and Andrew tried it too, and you can see how that went for them.





I think that for now, we'll just stick to oreos.

-Megan

1 comment:

  1. Well... if you're not going to eat it, send it this way!

    ReplyDelete