Friday, September 4, 2009

Mountain Climb Take 2

It was another beautiful day in Gambell, so I mentioned briefly (to myself) during school that I should climb the mountain later. One of the kids overhead my solitary conversation (how many times to I talk to myself? I wasn't even aware I did it), and most of the class decided to make it a group trip after school.

Word travels fast in this school. By the end of the day, the whole school knew about it and several other students/teachers were planning on climbing the mountain with me. It turned out to be a really great time, with about 4 teachers and 20 students total. Many of the kids had never climbed the mountain before (which surprised me).

It doesn't seem like so long ago that I climbed it for the first time, and yet the landscape had changed significantly. Either that, or I am growing more observant the longer I remain in the Bush. The tundra greens had turned brown, and the edible greens like Nunivak were no longer any good. Unfortunately, it was a bad year for berries in this area of the island, so we didn't have those to eat either.


The fearless leaders:








And the climb to the top:










While on our way up, a huge plane circled Gambell a few times and then landed. I still don't know what it was doing here, but most of the kids thought it was probably carrying Hondas. One track minds. :-) As you can see, the plane is actually bigger than our 'airport' aka hanger shed.




Hopefully, we will have more days like this before the winter sets in!

-Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment