Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Moose Crossing

Kyle, Erika, and Karis (a few of our crazy-awesome BSSD vet teachers/Welcome Wagon guides) have been so great the past two days! It is so easy to become overwhelmed and stressed during this whole experience, and it’s great to have a positive support system built-in and ready anytime! Despite the fact that we are all becoming increasingly poorer with each passing minute, we are having a good time hanging out in Anchorage. We ate a nice sit-down breakfast this morning, and spent the day at places like REI shopping for winter gear. I bought 3 pairs of wool socks because a) in the arctic, you have to wear wool because it wicks away the moisture b) I prefer to keep all of my toes and c) they were on sale and there was a deal if you buy three. So I bought three. ☺

Today was my last full day in Anchorage, and I had accepted the fact that I would see no moose during this trip. And then lo! As we were approaching an intersection in Anchorage, we came upon a moose walking across the street ON THE CROSSWALK! I know a few human beings that can’t seem to manage that feat.





I fly out early early early tomorrow morning for Gambell, though I'll stop in Kotzebue (above the Arctic Circle!) and Nome along the way. Kyle and Erika are on my flight to Nome so at least I'll have someone to hang out with most of the day!

-Megan

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely LOVE all of your blog posts thus far. I'm currently in Hale (awesome k-state library) awaiting meeting me second class of students (9:30) and came to the library to be productive. Instead, I've been on your blog absolutely in awe of everything you are experiencing! Good to know that even in Alaska I can count on you to distract me :) The grocery store trip sounds insane and not going to lie, overwhelming! Are you guys able to get anything besides non-perishables? I wasn't aware that you had to actually have food shipped to you, so how do that work? Do they have some nifty freezer they utilize? Anyway, how is class going?? Do elaborate, when you have time of course! I can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete