Saturday, August 1, 2009

My Credit Card Looks Tired

I have been so lucky to be shown so much of beautiful Southcentral Alaska; most newbie teachers like myself only see the inside of Costco and Fred Meyer during their first trip to Anchorage! That said, no new teacher can escape a trip to the store while in Anchorage. We don’t just ‘go’ to the store, either; we GO to the store. I went to Costco today to do my bulk shopping, and a couple hundred dollars later I have enough oatmeal and pineapple to last me a good while. Probably won’t run out of Canola Oil this year either. I’m dreading the final grocery bill at the end of Welcome Wagon, but I have some time to brace myself before that happens. It has to be done anyway, it’s not like I can avoid buying groceries. I like to eat too much for that to ever be an option!

Another expense to day was some of my winter gear. I bought a beautiful parka, Sorel Caribou pac boots, and some crazy-warm gloves from Cabela’s online today. I was pleasantly surprised at that bill . . . only about $270 total. Granted, I still need to buy a balaclava, wool socks, a ski mask, a rain coat, some fleece, hiking boots, etc. Pictures of my winter gear to come, once I have them on and in action.

Whatever Alaska may be, Alaska isn’t cheap.


-Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment