Sunday, August 9, 2009

Workaholic Anonymous

I haven't been up to much exciting during the past few days; just trying to organize the mess that is my classroom. It's so bad that I only just now started to open the tubs of classroom stuff I shipped up here in June. My room was so unorganized and random that it has been a multi-day project just figuring out what is actually stored in my room. Most of the elementary school science curriculum/supplies seem to have found a home in my room, along with a pair of cross-country skis and 20lbs of rice. It's finally come to a point where I don't want to cry every time I walk in my room, and I'd say that's progress.

We have to walk 15 minutes or so to school (and back) everyday, and it wouldn't be that big of a deal if it weren't for the gravel. It takes much more energy than it should to get to school since every step you take in that gravel is worth about 5 normal steps. It's more of a trudging than a walking, though. We're all sweating by the time we get to school even though it's like 50-something degrees outside. The weather has been something else lately; foggy one second and crystal clear the next. And by the way, you've never understood the word fog until you live on St. Lawrence Island. I'm real close to keeping my work wardrobe in my classroom; there's no way I can walk to school in my dress clothes every day!

Here are a few photos from the walk to school over the past few days:


(Our Gambell Fire Station)


(View from the Post Office towards the school; it's RIGHT there, but the fog is so heavy you can't even see the building)




(The kids have made their own 4wheeler roundabout; eat your heart out, Washington DC!)


-Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment